Money Talks News’ recent article entitled “14 Added Benefits in the New Medicare Advantage Plans,” says that the following “extra” benefits are offered by individual Medicare Advantage plans for 2022:
- Eye exams and eyeglasses: Provided by 98% of plans
- Fitness benefit: 97%
- Telehealth: 95%
- Hearing exams and hearing aids: 95%
- Dental benefit: 94%
- Prescription drug coverage: 89%
- Over-the-counter benefits (for items, such as adhesive or elastic bandages): 81%
- Meal benefit (such as a cooking class, nutrition education, or meal delivery): 67%
- Transportation benefits: 38%
- Acupuncture: 36%
- In-home support services: 10%
- Bathroom safety devices: 8%
- Telemonitoring services: 3%
- Support for caregivers of Medicare enrollees: 3%
Remember that Original Medicare is the traditional Medicare program offered directly by the federal government.
Medicare Advantage plans are an all-in-one alternative offered by private insurance companies.
Switching to Medicare Advantage is also risky for seniors with Original Medicare, who also pay for a supplemental Medicare policy, also known as a Medigap policy. Check the policy carefully; they may not cover you if you travel and there are no providers in the place you are visiting.
If these seniors later decide to switch back to Original Medicare. In that case, they won’t necessarily be able to get the same Medigap policy back — or get a new Medigap policy at all.
Reference: Money Talks News (Nov. 4, 2021) “14 Added Benefits in the New Medicare Advantage Plans”